Bernheck is a small, dreamy place at the edge of the Veldensteiner Forrest Nature Park, one of the largest forest areas in Bavaria. First records from the years 1477 - 1479 prove that already 15 properties existed. Around Bernheck the four "Eck" farmer families settled down and one of them was family "Schuster".
The name “Schuster” can be traced back to 1686. The church burnt down and all records got a victim of the fire in that year. The pedigree of the family name, which also point to the name "Lorenz", is due to an old farmer’s family.
In 1952, Andreas and Margarete Schuster founded today's "Ferienhotel Veldensteiner Forst" with the start-up of a "beer garden".
In 1964, Hans Schuster realized his father's wish to build-up the hotel together with his wife Irmgard and the children.
Since 2010, the current owner Josef Schuster and his family are running the hotel.
- 1974: Indoor pool and sauna
- 1980: New guest house with hotel lobby
- 1982: Move in “Kasimir”
- 1986: Fireplace room, attached to the restaurant
- 1990/1992: New apartments, suites as well as an elevator
- 1993: Restaurant renewal
- 1995: Modernization of the kitchen and addition of leisure facilities
- 1999: Expansion of guest rooms on the 2nd floor to non-smoking rooms
- 2001: Renewal and wall painting of the indoor swimming pool
- 2002: Reconstruction of guest rooms
- 2004: Extension of the outdoor area with a swimming pool and log cabin sauna
- 2005: Spa with soft pack couch, beauty and massage
- 2006: Heating system; use of renewable energy
- 2008: Flat screen TVs in all rooms
- 2010: Minibar and internet access in all rooms – rooms are for non-smokers
- 2011: Renewal of 8 guest rooms
- 2012: Hotel Lobby
- 2016: New indoor pool and renovating 5 guest rooms
- 2017: Renewal the new rest rooms
- 2018: New sauna, steam bath, infrared cabin
- 2019: Renewal of 8 guest rooms
- 2020: Flat screens with HD TV in all rooms